Why Southern Land?
We offer a distinctive experience for emerging design professionals, including more influence over the design process from initial concept to final execution and the ability to work directly with clients.
Our full-service company is comprised of planning, architecture, design, construction, marketing, and resident experience professionals—all in-house and working together every day to envision and create uniquely beautiful places.
Southern Land Company, a national real estate development and construction firm headquartered in Nashville, TN is seeking a full-time Interior Designer to join our dynamic team. The interior designer will assist the interior design team and manager of the interior design department with daily tasks associated with overseeing design of luxury multifamily properties nationwide.
- Coordinate with Design Managers related to project schedule, deliverables, and feedback to third party Interior Designers (ID) and A&E team for streamlined communication
- Develop conceptual layouts of the amenity and common spaces of SLC’s multifamily and mixed-use projects.
- Research project location trends, history, demographics, and project comps to develop design concept boards to communicate look and feel.
- Prepare presentations for executive approval at project milestones.
- Provide information and communicate design intent and project goals to ID for the development of Contract Documents.
- Coordinate and verify the implementation of SLC Design Standards into third party Contract Documents.
- Assist in the development and updating of SLC Design Standards.
- Coordinate the design and drawings development with ID, A&E Team, other specialty consultants (fitness equipment, telecom, etc.) SLC Design Coordination Manager, Multifamily Development, SLCCC Preconstruction and SLC Property Management.
- Develop unit finish selections with SLC Preconstruction and Design Manager. Coordinate proposed selections with ID and obtain approval from SLC Multifamily Development. Finalize finish selections and specifications within budgets and allowances.
- Respond to RFIs and review submittals during Construction Administration phase of project.
- Manage and document product selections and samples per project.
- In collaboration with Design Coordination Manager, manage internal executive review and approval process.
- In collaboration with Design Coordination Manager, coordinate with ID on all space planning and selections.
- In collaboration with Multifamily Development, coordinate FFE selections with ID.
- Coordinate installation of FFE with ID, Owner’s Representative, and General Contractor.
- Manage all interior design standards and budgets parallel to the construction process.
- Perform site visits during construction to review that installation of interior design elements is in alignment with project design intent.
- After FFE installation, perform site visit and provide punch list of common/amenity areas and model units that includes clear photographs.
- Final sign off and project close-out for interior design scope.
- Ability to travel within the U.S.A.
- Review and assist with issue resolution as needed.
- Manage of Interior Design materials library
- Ability to interpret project design goals and creatively provide design solutions aligned with project parameters
- Knowledge of industry standard interior graphic and design standards in Construction Documents
- Working knowledge of the design and construction process to properly coordinate deadlines and submittals.
- Exceptional knowledge of methods of construction and the appropriate use of materials and finishes.
- Proficient knowledge of building systems/codes, handicap accessibility codes, environmental guidelines and the direct application of each.
- Extremely knowledgeable with specification of multifamily and hospitality furniture and artwork, including creating spec sheets and selection of fabrics and finishes.
- Proficiency in the following technical programs: Revit, AutoCad, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite Photoshop and/or In Design and Bluebeam
- Ability to keep sensitive information highly confidential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to deal professionally with clients, vendors, and co-workers on the phone and in person.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to take initiative, use good judgment, demonstrate a strong sense of urgency and attention to detail, and carry multiple projects through to completion.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work and ask for further clarification when necessary.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight time constraints, as well as the ability to deal with frequent interruptions, unresolved situations, frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture from a CIDA-accredited school
- 3-10 years related experience in multifamily/hospitality interior design
- Experience with writing furniture specifications and specifying furniture
- NCIDQ Certification
- Registered Interior Designer with the State of TN
- LEED Green Associate Certification
- Member of professional organization for Interior Design such as IIDA, ASID, etc.
- Prior experience in the development of project from concept to completion, including the preparation of required documentation for owner approval and construction
Southern Land Company believes that community is the heart of every successful development project. With that as our starting point, we create residential developments around the country that provide a generous, comfortable lifestyle to those that call them home. In support of our single family and multifamily projects, we also undertake key retail, office, and recreation developments to craft convenient, complete communities. We believe in big ideas and paying attention to every detail required to realize them.
- A strong brand recognized for quality, performance, and artistry
- Guiding principles of creativity and innovation
- An open mind for new ideas and creative methods
- A strong compensation and benefits package, including health, vision, dental, 401k with a strong match and more!
Southern Land Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and we seek to create an inclusive work place that embraces diverse backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives. Southern Land Company offers a competitive benefits package, including 401k and paid time off. Southern Land Company is a Drug Free Workplace. For more information, please visit our website at www.southernland.com.
The above information is only an illustration of the general nature and level of work performed by the employee within this classification. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Company and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs of the Company and requirements of the job change.
Job Function: Interior Design
Primary Location: Nashville, TN
Employment Type: Full-time, Salary
Seniority Level: Associate
Industry: Real Estate