Senior Project Designer / Architect / PM
Senior Project Designer / Senior Project Architect / Senior Project Manager (May become an Associate)
(8-15 years of experience, Washington, D.C.)
We are an energetic, fresh-thinking practice, specializing in the design of dynamic and effective workplaces. Our mission is to deliver the highest quality design to our clients, who represent a wide range of business sectors and geographic locations. Our collaborative work environment provides opportunity for interaction, learning and growth in all aspects of architectural practice.
Successful candidates will have strong portfolios, excellent verbal and graphic communication skills, an ability to work collaboratively with clients and team members, and an enthusiasm for design excellence and learning.
Successful candidates will have strong portfolios, excellent verbal and graphic communications skills, an ability to work collaboratively with clients and team members, and an enthusiasm for design excellence and learning. One can expect to participate as a team member working with junior staff and Principals with a collaborative ‘can do’ attitude. The position offers an opportunity to work on high profile projects and gain progressive responsibility while refining design, detailing and project leadership skills. HYL is a small firm with a high level of interaction and an ability to work directly with the Principals and clients on award winning projects. Motivated team members who consistently demonstrate commitment to the firm's vision and goals in innovative and thoughtful design, high quality deliverables, time management, collaborative spirit and client service will have opportunities for advancement in the firm and additional leadership responsibilities on projects.
Performs and completes work on projects under the general direction and supervision of a team leader (Principal or Managing Principal).
Certain team members who demonstrate a commitment to the firm, are taking on practice level roles, and who have been with the firm for at least 1 year or have commensurate qualifications may become an associate of the firm.
• Demonstrates strong understanding of the architectural design process from programming through construction administration and an understanding of team member responsibilities with ability to lead and develop design concepts.
• Lead the development of the design from initial concept through construction administration under the direction of the team Principal.
• Responsible for the organization, preparation and completion of design presentation deliverables from programming to design phases, including furniture. Presentation materials may include 3-dimensional Revit modeling, rendering and Photoshop illustrations, and design package preparation in InDesign.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the design and process for developing standards for furniture and furniture selection. May lead selection of furniture, conduct furniture and materials research, and develop specification packages under the direction of the team Principal.
• As part of the team, presents design in client presentations, ongoing project meetings, and field / site visits.
• Ability to conduct special topic meetings with clients, with or without Principal present.
• Executes project goals and firm goals of design excellence, required deliverables quality, and design execution.
• Understands and responds to the technical implications of design decisions.
• Leads construction document planning session, including project milestones, and construction document work planning.
• Actively supports and develops office policies, standards, procedures, and BIM/computer data use policies.
• Contributes to the development of BIM/computer/design presentation standards.
• Leads team to develop and produce construction documents, specifications, including project specific details
• Demonstrates an understanding of consultant roles and communicates and coordinates as required.
• Understanding of existing field conditions and anticipates the impact on the design and detailing of the construction documents.
• Takes ownership of the submittal and RFI review and response process, including tracking and schedule monitoring to meet HYL’s contractual responsibility.
• Maintains project design goals throughout the Construction Document and Construction Administration process.
• Conducts weekly site meetings and walk-throughs
• Leads and organizes the process for issuing Bulletins/Addenda as required
• Leading the punchlist and back punch efforts
• Advanced understanding of building codes and understanding of application throughout all project phases.
• Takes responsibility and ownership of meeting project deadlines and organizing and directing work efforts as an individual and for junior team members.
• Be a resource for the junior staff, especially for those on your team(s).
• Manage and direct project consultants as the primary contact.
• Manages project record keeping to include network organization of all project correspondence and minutes for the use of the team.
• Leads the documentation of meetings and client decisions. Tracks and follows up on open issues on projects.
• Leads client correspondence
• Develops project schedule and budget.
• Reviews cost estimates, change orders, and applications for payment for Principal review and authorization.
• Familiarizes oneself with the project scope and fees. Identifies scope or schedule changes to the project Principal.
• Is responsible for creating and updating the workplan in Ajera.
• Creates contract modifications, including scope and fee for project Principal’s review.
• Reviews client invoices for project Principal’s approval.
• Reviews consultant invoices for billing.
• Participates in senior staff manpower meetings to discuss firm related items and project staffing needs.
• Participates in senior staff marketing meetings.
• Works with utmost confidentiality on client projects, protecting client and firm proprietary information and methodology.
• Demonstrates an ongoing and consistent ability to promote and exemplify the HYL team culture in the design community and within the studio.
• Ability to lead multiple projects of various sizes and phases at one time.
• Participates in and acts as an advocate to junior staff in the advocate program.
• Participates in marketing efforts and project interviews.
• Attends design community events as a representative of HYL.
• Embodies confidence and competency to identify and effectively and expeditiously resolve project issues, as an advocate for the project.
• On-site attendance is required for aspects of the project, including but not limited to the following:
- field surveys
- client design presentations
- mock-up review
- material review / selection
- showroom tours
- site tours
• 8-15 years of full time experience, mostly focused on commercial office interiors and in all phases of a project
• Completed architectural or NCIDQ licensure.
• LEED, WELL or fitwel accreditation a plus
• Bachelors or Masters degree in architecture or interior design, or a related field, from an accredited school
• Strong Revit skills and ability to coach others in Revit
• Strong communication and graphics skills including: Revit, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and InDesign
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Collaborative and professional work ethic
Please submit a concise digital portfolio or include a link to your online portfolio along with a cover letter and resume.
HYL is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants who are able to perform the job responsibilities of the position with reasonable accommodations will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability or national origin as required by applicable law.
You will be taken to a third party site