TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - WASHINGTON DC
Company Preview: Established in 1959 in NYC, MKDA became the Garment District’s leading design firm, designing showrooms for high profile fashion brands. In the 1970’s the firms practice area diversified and was expanded to full scope integrated design services for Retail, Workplace, Hospitality and Lifestyle Projects. MKDA is Headquartered in New York City with offices in Florida, Connecticut and recently opened the Washington DC office.
Position Preview: This is a unique opportunity to participate in the development of a range of different commercial interior projects from concept to completion. The Technical Director leads the office as an expert in technologies and systems that improve the quality, cost effectiveness and performance of our projects. This person must understand the necessity of thorough drawings, coordinated information and well-detailed Interior projects as part of the overall success of our firm. You will work closely with the Design Principals to develop design ideas and creatively solving problems, as well as provide strong technical direction to the technical staff. Our DC office is a boutique studio where all ideas are welcome, and no one is exempt from pursuing their own personal and professional goals.
Candidates must have as strong organization, team building skills in addition to excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be motivated by helping create impactful environments. Salary commensurate with the education, professional experience and demonstrated knowledge. MKDA is Equal-opportunity employer. Please email cover letter, resume and portfolio in PDF format to email@example.com with “Project Designer – DC” in the subject line.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive Annual Base Salary based on experience, certifications and portfolio
- Full Benefits Package – Eligible for bonuses each year, health insurance, 401K with match, FSA account, PTO, Paid Holidays and more.
Please email cover letter, resume and portfolio in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Technical Director – DC” in the subject line. Must have current authorization to work in the United States. Individual Candidates Only – No Placement Services.
Key Responsibilities (not limited to)
- Licensed Architect to oversee, sign and stamp local drawings.
- Technical review of all local construction documents.
- Ensures technical adherence to office firm-wide standards by developing and providing technical viewpoint on projects.
- Provides technical solutions to design dilemmas.
- Reviews CDs to ensure compliance with local codes, building systems and ADA requirements.
- Responsible for technical reviews and provides construction administration.
- Coordinates engineering consultant’s work to ensure compliance with design solution and timely submission of documents.
- May be required to assist with support for field surveys and due diligence.
- Meets with municipal building department and other governing agency officials to coordinate approvals or variances
- Must have extensive code knowledge. Able to interpret the code and provide solutions that satisfy multiple parties.
- Manages the work of other technical staff. Oversees tasks and provides feedback on work product.
- Mentor to other staff, assisting in detail development, one-on-one reviews of redlines, and staff technical development
- Able to assist with Revit production.
- Answer building code questions, both internally, and from the client.
- Attend client interviews
- 10+ years of commercial interior design projects.
- Advanced Revit skills
- Comprehensive understanding of design intent and practices.
- Expert interior architectural detailing skills.
- Specification writing knowledge.
- Advanced knowledge of building codes, buildings systems and ADA requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of construction documentation and construction materials
- General understanding of legal aspects of the profession and proven risk management ability.
- Comprehensive contract administration knowledge, including the proven ability to complete complex contract documents.
- Ability to manage schedule and workload off technical staff
- Proven ability to explain complex technical information to diverse audiences
- Effective verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Able to communicate in a thoughtful, patient, consistent, and clear manner
- Demonstrates collaborative and professional work ethic.